Something Old, Something New...

It's official. After months of being fairly resilient, I suddenly feel my temperature raised, my heart quicken in pace, and my palms grow clammy with anticipatory excitement. Sad but true - it's a serious case of royal wedding fever. 

I could wax lyrical about  all number of aspects pertaining to the events of April 29th, but before I start waffling on about tea towels and bunting, this post is dedicated to all things sparkly.

That's right, this not-so-fashion-blogger is going to write about jewellery.

Now, massive sapphire engagement rings aside (got your M&S rip off version yet?) what I'm most fixated on is the tiara. What diamond delight is Princess Middleton gonna have perched upon her royal bonce when leaving the Abbey? According to one website, there are about 300 for her to pick from in the Royal Family's collection. That's a lot of rocks. Having done some serious research into the matter (cos, y'know, this is a serious matter indeed) I'm particularly favouring the Strathmore Rose tiara, as modelled here by a very sprightly Queen Mother back in the day.

 How lovely does she look? Scrubs up well for an old flapper.

That's the one I would wear, anyway, if it were me. Not that you would catch me marrying William Wales, (delightful a man as I'm sure he is) with those teeth.

In true wedding tradition, the tiara would be my 'something borrowed'. My something 'old' would be pretty much anything from Susan Caplan's incomparable vintage selection (although classic 80s Chanel costume might be a little too ghetto, I think a bejewelled bird brooch could work.) 

 A glitter...bird from Susan Caplan, along with a wonderful vintage Butler and Wilson necklace. 

 
If I was feeling a little bit Madonna circa 'like a virgin' phase, I could get a crucifix ring or three from Regal Rose for my 'something new'. 

Regal Rose Rings. Try saying that with your mouth full. 
 
And for sheer beautiful wonderment, my 'something blue' would be this:

   
A preserved butterfly wing from Bjorg, officially my second favourite jewellery brand after long standing love Dominic Jones. Others have pulled a repulsed face at the thought of wearing a dead insect round your neck, but my inner witchy weirdo can't see a problem with it. Especially for a wedding day. Not that I'm getting married, just to clarify once again. Don't get any funny ideas.