Dave Grohl: We're Not Worthy!

A 90s grunge revival is currently underway in my household, and it is the result of two occurrences:
#1. I recently enjoyed a viewing of Wasting Light, the Foo Fighters' documentary movie, which cemented their already-pretty-secure place in my heart.


#2. My boyfriend introduced me to the wonders that are Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2. Alright, I know, I'm a nearly 25 year old who hadn't seen Wayne's World yet. Feel free to mock, and then we'll move on. 


So the combination of the musical and visual enjoyment in these three movies now means my head is filled with a Generation Game style conveyor belt of classic Foos riffs, plaid shirts, 80s hair rock and grunger boys saying 'schwing!' (If like me, you had spent the last 10 years confused by this, ask your brother.)

Although I was a little late to the grunge party, one of my first 'proper' gigs was at Earls Court, watching Dave & co. I'd paid through the nose for tout tickets, and had to smash my way back into my flat after the gig, having locked myself out, so it was a pretty memorable night, all in all.


One vivid recollection is of naively enjoying the front and centre standing position I had managed to secure, before the first strains of 'Hero' fired up, at which point it felt like the entire crowd was attempting to push past me and join the band on stage. Ladies and gentlemen, I had just experienced my first pit, and it was something of a shock to the system. How times have changed... 

Anyway, the memory that burns most brightly, is Dave Grohl's astoundingly immense, loveable, funny, loud, perfect stage presence. This man had the crowd suspended by his very guitar strings! A true rock god! And noticeably lacking in cliche rockstar arrogance, with it. What an unbelievable chap he really must be.


From then on, the Foo Fighters provided a soundtrack to the most awkward events of my late teens (cheated on your boyfriend? No worries, Dave has written a song called Best of You, all about the relevant subject, that will be played incessantly on radio throughout many a cringey conversation.)

Watching Wasting Light, however, reinforced why Dave always knows exactly what to write - he has been there, done that, been in one legendary rock band, felt the pain of a friend's premature death, the come back, with several other legendary rock bands, plus a family he adores.

Dave Grohl: The funniest face in rawk.

I strongly advise you watch the documentary even if you are not a massive fan (although, in which case, could you please explain yourself?!) Because it's a laugh-a-minute. Even when they are talking about the sad stuff. Because it's the most honest depiction of what being in a rock band is like. Because the guys in the band genuinely love every second of what they do, and are not afraid to show their gratitude to their fans. And, as Wayne and Garth would say, Dave Grohl really is

 GL